FAQ - Kangaroo Valley - South Coast NSW



Where are there public toilets?

There are public toilets at Osbourne Park (behind the Pioneer Hall in Osborne Park (the showground), next to the ambulance station in Broughton Street, at Hampden Bridge car park and at Tallowa Dam.

Yes, at Jing Jo Cafe.

There is fuel available at the service station near Hampden Bridge, 2k from the village centre.

At Broughton St, near the ambulance station.

At Broughton St, near the ambulance station, Hampden Bridge and Tallowa Dam.

Dogs and other pets

Where can I walk my dog?

There are no designated off-leash areas in Kangaroo Valley but you can walk your dog on a leash within the Village and at the Show ground (Osborne Park). For information about off-leash areas, visit the Shoalhaven City Council guide.

You can see suitable accommodation in the pet-friendly accommodation section of our website.

Things to do

Can I hire a kayak or canoe, and where can I launch?

There are three operators in Kangaroo Valley who provide kayak/canoe hire – see their details in the Adventure & Sport section of the website. Or bring your own and launch at Bendeela Campground or Tallowa Dam. Only small, unpowered boats, such as kayaks or canoes, are permitted on Tallowa Dam / Lake Yarrunga.

For walking trails and a Historic Walk visit the Walks & Rides section of the website for details and downloadable maps. 

Good roads for a bike ride are Upper River Road, Mount Scanzi Road and Bendeela Road. For mountain bike trails visit the Walks & Rides section of the website for details and downloadable maps.

The Tallowa Dam picnic area and Bendeela campground are good places to spot wildlife. Early morning or evening are the best times. Please do not feed the animals as it is harmful to them.

You could book a Farm Stay – view all Farm Stay accommodation on our website. Or you will see farm animals by just driving or walking around Kangaroo Valley. You can stop and look or take photos from the road, but don’t go onto the farmland, it’s private property.

You can fish for Bass and Carp in the Kangaroo River and Tallowa Dam/Lake Yarrunga. For licences, equipment hire and information go to Kangaroo Valley Rural Supplies (The Red Shed) 2 Jenanter Driver (just near Hampden Bridge) 02 4465 1082.

You can swim in the river at Hampden Bridge and Bendeela Campground. There is a public swimming pool and kids pool at Osbourne Park (the showground).


Can I book a one night stay?

Some of the properties which do (on occasion) offer one night stays include: Big Bell Farm, Allambie Gums, Karralika Springs, Wombatalla Guesthouse and The Heavens Mountain Escape.

There two caravan parks in Kangaroo Valley (powered sites) – view their details in the Camping & Caravans section of the website. There is free camping at Bendeela campground (rustic, toilets only) off Bendeela Rd.

Safety & Emergencies

Can I light a camp fire?

Fires are not allowed in Morton National Park. Camp fires must not be lit during dry, hot and windy conditions or when a total fire ban is in place. For fire ban information go to NSW Rural Fire Service or call Shoalhaven Rural Fire Service on 02 4424 4424.

The roads into Kangaroo Valley are steep and winding. Both Barrengarry Mountain (Nowra/Moss Vale Road, from the Southern Highlands (Moss Vale/Bowral) through Fitzroy Falls) and Cambewarra Mountain (Moss Vale Road, via Bomaderry) are suitable for a motorhome. The road from Berry to Kangaroo Valley (Kangaroo Valley Road) is not suitable for caravans.

For an ambulance call 000. There is an ambulance station in Kangaroo Valley. The nearest hospitals are Shoalhaven Hospital, 2 Shoalhaven Street, Nowra, 02 4421 3111 and Bowral Hospital, Mona Road, Bowral, 02 4861 0200.